After the lesson, 2nd Grade teachers gathered in the conference room to debrief. They noted Maria's firmly established rituals and routines, the quick transition between skills/activities, the integration of movement and music with learning, and the depth and consistency of the skills being taught. In addition, they loved the total integration of so many skills covered at one time.
- Do we have 2 hours and 30 minutes set aside for our morning class?
- Do we have 2 hours and 30 minutes set aside for our afternoon class?
- Could we break Skills Block into two 10 minute sessions? Would that be effective?
- Could we change our lunch and resource time to make sure we have these two blocks of time?
- Should all classes be co-teach instead of departmentalized to allow for a more flexible schedule in the day?
- What are the most age appropriate and critical skills Second Graders need to master?
- Could we do a better job of planning with our Math and Science teachers to assure skill alignment in the subject areas?
The day was focused on one task analyzing Skills Block to create vertical alignment and accountability, and I can't think of a more productive professional development session!