Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer Break "To Do" List

It's summer. I'm out of school on break but my mind keeps drifting back to tasks awaiting me when I return. You'd think that an Instructional Coach wouldn't have much to do or think about when teachers are out on summer break but I beg to differ. There are state standardized test scores to analyze; There is a School Improvement Plan to write; There are two math manipulative kits to assemble; There are three leveled libraries delivered but not yet coded and distributed to three new classrooms; There is an office to move and unpack; There is a office/classroom to decorate; There are new math diagnostic assessments to edit, copy, and distribute; There are three new EXCEL math spreadsheets to create. And, these are just the few unfinished items that are first popping up in my mind.

I worked last Friday and this Monday to get a jump start, and I'd like to think that I could work a few more days before teachers come back, but much like the rest of my summer, I'll be leaving today for a state baseball tournament, followed by a fun filled week of family vacation, followed by perhaps the regional baseball tourney in NC. To say the least, the list of unfinished business never dwindles rather just gets replaced by items added to the next list. So, like teachers and administrators, as a coach, I too, will keep widdling away to get tasks finished and try not to stress about how much is still left to do. Who says summer is all fun and games?

3 comments:

Dee Dee Tamburrino said...

I am wrapping up a 2-week long intensive music methods course that has kept me very busy writing orchestrations every night and practicing the alto recorder (a larger version of the one that I teach the kids; all of the fingerings are different!) I did my peer teaching yesterday, I performed with my recorder consort today and will showcase what we created in the last two weeks with the entire class tomorrow.

If I've done well enough to obtain the certification, I will be contacting you and requesting that you update my information on the School Improvement Plan :)

Enjoy the last few weeks...We're about to hit the hallways running!

Maria Mallon & Cheryl Dillard said...

Suzanne,
I love the picture - it is the look and feel of summer. Don't worry - everything will be waiting for you when you get back :) Somehow everything seems to get done. We will soon be planting, cultivating, and harvesting a new crop of students for the new year...and dream of our beach days!! MM

Jill Kolb said...

Aw Suzanne, I thought my to-do list was long enough but you just added a few things I hadn't thought of...yet. I'll be back at work next week unpacking the new intervention kits we ordered as well as working on planning pre-planning (sounds redundant) But until then I'll enjoy a few more carefree, unplanned days. Enjoy your vacation!