Thursday, August 14, 2014

Cart Girl is Making Her Rounds!


Today, I opened my email to a message from a master teacher who is one of my mentors...

Maybe you’d rather I didn’t remind you about this or maybe you’ve already remembered or maybe you’ve remembered and there's no money, so no response necessary!  But just in case it’s not on your radar- don’t forget the snacks on a wagon.  That is truly one of those “OMG! This place is so different” kind of moments for people who have worked in other places.   I know how busy you both are but the impact of having one of you deliver is HUGE – maybe a chance to make sure everybody has everything they need.  I know it’s crazy down there, and you don’t have time…

I had three immediate thoughts when I opened this message. 1) You're right! I love this tradition and its impact speaks volumes. 2) Holy cow. I forgot to be Cart Girl!! 3) What in the world will we do when our colleague and mentor retires? It's coming too soon. 

She was right when she said, "I know it's crazy down there and you don't have time..." but you know what, she's helped teach me that relationships come first. Taking care of teachers is particularly important especially when they are exhausted from their long days of preparation.  Opening school isn't easy. They deserve to be spoiled, to be told that their hard work is admired and appreciated, and to hear that their rooms are looking great. They deserved my time.
 
Within the hour the treats and drinks were purchased, the cart was loaded, and Cart Girl had hit the halls. It was so nice to visit the classrooms, be greeted with smiles, and get to chat to the coolest colleagues ever!  It's a tradition that should never be forgotten!  There's No Place Like Home...
 

4 comments:

Toni Chant said...

It has always a treat to have Cart Girl come by to check on us, offer some food for the body and fuel for the spirit.

Jenny Nash said...

Yes, this is a favorite tradition! I forget it every year, and fall in love with it again every year!

Maria Mallon & Cheryl Dillard said...

Cart Girl was right on time for me on Thursday...I needed my pretzels!!MM

Mrs. McLeod said...

Cart Girl was exactly what we needed to make the final big push in our classroom. Thank you for taking time to care for us!
Much love,
Laurie & Carrie